Sunday 4 December 2011

Using the Slice tool

The slice tool is a very simple tool that can be used to reveal objects, cover them or merge them in animation sequences.

I used the slice tool within my animation techniques as part of the wallpaper animation when it was removed in the main upstairs hall.

To begin with I had to apply the slice tool to the wall object that was in the scene, in this case it was the inside wall object.

Once the slice tool had been applied I then had to edit the plane size to ensure that it would flow the correct way and covered the entire wall that needed to be sliced back. Adjustments were made using the size tool and rotation tool .I had to ensure the plane was facing the correct way at the beginning of the timeline.

The image below shows adjustments to the slice plane:

The settings within the slice tool had to be set to “remove bottom” for the effect I was applying it for on the wall.



Using the auto key frame on the timeline I could now create the animation of the wallpaper being removed on the wall. Behind the wall was another wall that had a brick mapping applied. This would give the effect of a bare wall behind the wallpaper.

In the image below you can see the slice tool being used to create the animation. At frame 0 the entire wall can be seen, at frame 70 the entire wall is now removed by the slice tool.

Timeline:


At frame 0:

At frame 35 (half wall):


At frame 70 (no wall):


I found this slice modifier very easy and simple to use and it also created a unique animation effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment